Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cultural Calamity John or Be Careful What You Tell Your Kids


About a dozen years ago or so, our family was uprooted while my husband sought work in our nation’s capital. He had just graduated from an IT course and felt his chances for a good position were best in Canada’s Silicon Valley. Because things were tight at first, we chose to rent an older style townhouse on the border of Ottawa and Nepean, in the middle of a large community of recent immigrants who came to our country from all over the world.  It proved to offer a literal smorgasbord of education for us all as we slowly got to know all of our new neighbours.
                Not too long after we moved in, our son, who was about three-and-a-half, started playing with a little boy who was the son of one of those new neighbours. They were from Turkey and the little boy, a smiling and giggling, happy little fellow, was their first and only child.
In the first few weeks after we moved in, our son had a few adjustment issues, including the odd nightmare. Like any good Christian mother would, I tried to nip it in the bud by explaining to him that each time he had a dream, he could exercise power over it. I said he could tell it to go away in Jesus’ name. Each night, as I helped him say his prayers, I would go over what I thought would both reassure him and eliminate the nightmares. He listened closely to every word, agreeing to do it if he had a one again.  Predictably, as he made friends and got busy with new adventures, the nightmares seemed to abate and I forgot all about what I had told him.
Have I mentioned that my husband’s father is Greek Canadian? And that would make our son one-fourth Greek? Just thought I might throw it in for good measure.
So, one day, the two boys were playing in the courtyard behind the townhouses while I watched closely from a lounge chair perched on the postage stamp bit of green that was our back lawn. I was largely pregnant with our second child and it was horrifically hot and humid.
I had learned very soon after our arrival that this kind of weather was typical of south-eastern Ontario. One morning previous to that, we had awoken to temperatures in the mid nineties Fahrenheit and there was actual fog until the midday sun had burned it off. Even our African immigrant friends, whose home countries knew mean temperatures of close to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, said they found the National Capital Region beastly hot because of the humidity and continual lack of what would have been a merciful breeze.
So, you have to understand, unless I absolutely had to, there was no way I was going to get actively involved in the play activities of preschoolers. But I was making certain, at least, they were safe and happy.  At one point, they disappeared around a corner of one of the townhouses for just a moment, and as I started to raise my girth to get up and follow, as I did not want to leave them unsupervised, the air suddenly became riddled with the shouts of the two boys. I wasn’t sure what they were saying, but whatever it was, it sounded pretty intense. Just as suddenly, they whizzed back around the self same corner around which they had disappeared, flying like the wind, with our son chasing the little Turkish boy. They looked like a miniature Mutt and Jeff. Our son was very tall and slim for his age and his little friend was extremely short and stocky, his rapid but clumsy gait no doubt encumbered by a pull-up.
It was then I realized little boys really do listen to their mother’s instructions.
Because, see, as they both ran by me, our son waved a stick and I heard him yell at the top of his voice, “Go away in Jesus’ name! Go away in Jesus’ name!”
I thought to myself, How succinct – the Greek chasing the Turk while yelling holy invocations at him.
I tell ya, history really does repeat itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment